If you open an Excel 2007 file by double clicking on a desktop icon, or explorer or from an outlook attachment, the file opens very slowly -- 30 seconds or more...
This is caused by a bad setting in the windows Explorer file type. To fix it in Windows XP try the following:
1. Open Windows Explorer (explorer.exe)
2. Select Tools | Folder Options from the menu
3. Go to the file types tab
4. Select the XLS file type (for Excel 97-2003 files)
5. Click the Advanced button
6. Select Open
7. Click the Edit Button
8. In the Application used to perform action, change the text from:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1"
Note the double quotes around the %1, they are required.
Nolw repeat steps 4-8 for the xlsx file type (Excel 2007 files)